Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dostoyevsky Says a Life Dictated by "Twice Two is Four" is Not Worth Living.

...should it follow that a family guided by half two is more stable?

Upon initial inspection of this second statement, it doesn't appear as though it could possibly be true. When there are two parents directing traffic and generally hanging with their children, things should be much easier to handle, yeah?

It sometimes seems the opposite with our boys. I find that, when it's just me watching the two of them - or, I often hear from Laura - their demeanor is tremendously more relaxed and less-combative than when Laura and I are both with them.

The difference isn't vast, but it certainly seems as though Jackson and Kian maintain a much more even keel - and, more importantly, seem to strive for our attention, individually, much less - when either Laura or I have them solo, compared to when we're all four together and interacting simultaneously.

Now, Laura's the psych major, so, she'd probably be better-equipped to blog in-depth about this, but I figure it's largely tied to the lack of a fourth personality factoring into our dynamic, coupled with the boys' recognition that the ALPHA MALE is present, or absent, and the understanding of - or, conversely, relief from - the Big Dad's dominance of the wills in the social setting. Yeah, that's the ticket!

You know, a giggle of either jovial acceptance or outright pity would be appreciated here.

Whatever the case, Jackson, Kian and I got to have a bit of a dudes' night at the house tonight - watching a movie (The Bee Movie, to be exact), eating junk food, and drinking beers (Dad, of course, holding up this final part of the list on his own); and, we had a damn good time. It helped that Kian was asleep throught 2/3 of the evening - he didn't nap at daycare today, and, Laura went out to get her nails worked on while I stayed at home with the dudes. By the time he'd awoke, the movie was over half-complete, and he just wanted to cram down some food and start prepping/relaxing for bed. I really enjoyed our night as The Three Amigos, as I do most every time we get that chance. I told Jackson tonight: "You know, you've turned out to be an alright little guy. I've decided we should keep you around for just a bit longer." I'm glad he agreed to stick around!

Oh, and I can't complete a post without posting a pic that hadn't yet made any of our previous picture post cuts...

I'll entitle this one: "Reason #4760 Why My Boys' Senses of Humor or Other Personality Quirks Would Be More Accurate Than ANY Maury Povich Paternity Test"




















(K)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kyle
I'm amazed that Laura lets you post pics on your blog!! :)

I enjoy reading the blog and seeing how much the boys are growing!! D looks at it when he comes home too.

I'd like to hear Laura's thoughts on the alpha male theory :)

Love to you all
Kirsty (& Darren)