Monday, March 10, 2008

Oh, New England

It's a well known fact that we, as a family, love music. Now, Kyle and I don't necessarily enjoy the sames types of music, but that does allow the boys to hear a wide variety. I have to chuckle inside when we get into Kyle's car and I hear, "Hey Dad, you got your iPod?" Now it might just be me, but I don't think there are many 4 year-olds out there requesting to hear anything from an iPod, let alone know what one is. I guess it could be the digital age we are in. My musical tastes are pop/rock and country for the most part. When the kids are in the car with me alone, we listen to kids songs. I don't mind them one bit. I figure I don't have to listen for any use of negative language if we keep it to G rated choices. Believe me, there is nothing more eye-opening than hearing a kid sing a song that is meant for adults. I know they don't know the meaning behind the song, but still it's not appropriate in my book. I leave the variety to Kyle, and believe me, he follows through quite nicely.

When we first started dating, I couldn't stand most of the music he listened to. First of all, I couldn't understand any of the words they were singing/screaming. Besides that, I just wasn't interested. Knowing that we want to give our boys as many choices as possible, I have conceded to listening in when we are in the car as a family. I have to admit that some of it isn't that bad. A few months ago I was introduced (I think by accident) to the "Monster" song. Again, I can't understand any of the words, but to see the little ones get into it in the back seat all strapped into their car seats is absolutely hilarious. I mean, they are buckled into their 5-point harness and have every extremity going at top-rate speed, flailing in every direction. I may have to video this one to get my point across. And to top it all off, the "monster" burps at the end. What little boy wouldn't like a song with a burp in it?

Fast-forward on to the most recent song choice. I started this ever-so-catchy song on the infamous iPod yesterday on our trek yesterday to Guitar Center to get some new drum heads for Kyle. (Note: NEVER TAKE YOUNG CHILDREN TO GUITAR CENTER!!!!!!!!! Too many things to touch and not enough self-control to go around.) OK, back to the song. This week it's a song called "Oh New England" by an artist that I can't remember. I Googled the lyrics to get the artist and can't remember if this is the one that I selected yesterday. There is one out there by Jonathan Richman though. Kian isn't sure of his part quite yet, but dances along as usual. As for the other two, Kyle sings the majority of the tune and Jackson sings the "New England" part. It's too cute. The main exchange is during these lines that repeat frequently:

"Dum-de-dum-de-dum-dum-da-dum-day Oh, New England."

Again, I'll have to capture this one on film too. Going back to how catchy this song is...We have to repeat this song at least once and given the amount of times the above-reference line is in the song, you can imagine how easy it is to get stuck in your head. As a matter of fact, the song has been stuck with me since about 4:24 p.m. yesterday afternoon. I was singing it in my head as I put Kian back to sleep last night at about 4:15 a.m. I keep repeating the line even as I type this post. I've tried to listen to other songs to no avail. It's just plain stuck.

Oy, veh.

Saturday, Kyle was able to cash in on his massage given to him on Valentine's Day. I had the boys solo for about 3 hours, which was spent mostly in the car driving between the doctor's office, Children's Place and Target followed by meeting up with Kyle for lunch. We popped in a random Baby Leap CD and rocked out to some tunes. There was a song that introduced the word "Hello" in Spanish, French and Japanese. Another song started to count in Spanish. The boys had their fill on the songs and we started to count in Spanish. Of course it was: Uno, Dos, Tres all the way up to Ocho. I hear a small pause and then hear, "New England, Diez." Boy-oh-boy, this song has gotten out of control! I think it's time to introduce a few new tunes.

Until next time...lc




No comments: