Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Ever-Declining Slope of the Learning Curve

Before I get into the substance I intended to write here, let me just voice my disappointment in myself in letting Laura post 2-3 times more than I've posted in these recent weeks. I thought I'd be the one primarily updating this blog, but she's absolutely smoking me in terms of output! Guess I need to be more creative and prolific with my journaling of our family's experiences...

Anyway, tonight at dinner, a brief vignette transpired that really highlights the thought processes that govern the actions of children. Odd how so much seems to go down during the sometimes short 30 minutes we spend gathered around the table.

We were eating hot dogs and Bugles tonight, and Jackson suddenly remembered that you can make a cool claw hand for yourself if you put the open end of a couple of Bugles over your fingertips. He did that, and I joined in the fray a few moments later. Suddenly, I look over, and Kian's figured out how to share in the hootenanny, and has slipped a one over his forefinger. He mimics mine and Jackson's growls, which are each interspersed with laughter, until he notices Jackson sneaking up beside his high-chair.

Jackson raises his claw up like he's going to grab Kian with it, and begins another growl as he lurches toward him. Kian's initial reaction is to squeal and recoil in horror from his menacing big brother, throwing his back into the opposite corner of the chair, away from Jackson.

Then, as if the Archangel was sitting over Jackson's shoulder, pointing to the Bugles on his hand, and saying to Kian, "LOOK, IT'S FOOD, FOOL! GET SOME!" Kian's demeanor instantly switches from one of a faux fear to a Homer Simpson-esque momentary delusion by snack food as he throws open his mouth, reverses gear, and starts to lean back toward Jackson's claw mumbling an eerily familiar "gaaarrraaagggaaaahhhhhhhh" that would make the yellow-skinned cartoon patriarch immensely proud of his newfound apprentice in food worship. Had Jackson not quickly reacted and retracted his hand, I think he would've faced almost certain digit severance by brotherly chomping.

This is yet another affirmation that these boys are truly my spawn.

No comments: