Thursday, March 20, 2008

Making Cupcakes for the Easter Party

Today the kids have their Easter Party at daycare. We signed up to bring a treat and decided to make cupcakes. Yesterday on our way home from Michelle's house, I told Jackson that he was in charge of making them. I don't think he anticipated how much effort is put into making something in it's totality. He's usually in and out of the kitchen, or we do it together making it go much faster. I measured out all the ingredients and let him have at it. Of course there are a couple of things that he is not allowed to do, like removing the outlet cover to plug in the mixer, breaking open the eggs completely, and putting things into the oven. Other than that, he was on his own. I think he ended up using about 3 wipes to clean all the chocolate off of himself and about 13 to get the icing off. The point is, he is so proud to have done all this solo. And, I was able to cook dinner while he made cupcakes. I once thought our kitchen was a good size, but once you put 3 people in there and try to do two things at once, it sure feels a lot smaller. We need a kitchen with an island in our next house for sure!

Here are some photos of the fun we had. Enjoy! We sure did!



Kian didn't know what to do with the beater. He looked cross-eyed at it for a minute, but he quickly figure out that chocolate was involved and dug right in!


After dinner we decorated. Note to all: NEVER let your children touch food coloring! I ended up mixing the icing and putting it on the cupcakes. Jackson was responsible for putting the eggs / jelly beans on them.


In true fashion, we donned some bunny ears and had a little more fun. The catch was that you had to "hop" everywhere when wearing the ears. Oh what fun that was!


When all was nearly said and done, we ran out of jelly beans and had one iced cupcake left over. If you were at Jackson's 4th birthday party you will remember that I shoved a cupcake in his face. (In all fairness, he shoved one back into mine!) All of a sudden I hear, "remember this mommy?" When I looked over this is what I saw...

What a "Goofy Goober"!!!!!

When I originally uploaded the pictures last night and caught a glimpse of this photo, I thought Jackson looked a little like Kian. After further review and consideration, I have come to the conclusion that the mess on his face is the only resemblance. If you've ever seen Kian eat, you'd completely understand!


All in all, we had a great time. Jackson loves to help out in the kitchen and I'm just as happy to clean up his messes.

until next time...lc




No comments: