Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Don't Recall Punctuation Being So Much Fun!

Read the sentence that titles this post. Now, when you read it (either aloud, or in your mind) shout the word FUN.

That's what Jackson's come to understand the exclamation mark does to a sentence and/or word. Obviously, he's grammatically correct in doing this - albeit, a little over-enthusiastic. It's to the point that, when he's reading his little early-stage readers to me at bedtime - as Laura's getting Kian to sleep in the living room - I've had to make sure the door to the boys' bedroom is shut as he and I read in there. Otherwise, it's altogether likely he'd startle Kian and break him of his bedtime routine.

I also find myself mentally, and somewhat physically, bracing myself for his impending crescendo when a sentence ends with an exclamation mark. I can't wait for the first time he's asked to read something in a formal school setting, and he scares the crap out of his teacher and/or classmates. Ha ha ha ha...I love that little dude.

(K)

2 comments:

Cursed Tea said...

My Mum asked my 5yr old nephew, joe if he knew what that (!) meant. His reply:
'Oh Granny its an explanation mark!'

Kirsty

KLJK said...

hahahahahahaaaaa, awesome!