Thursday, May 8, 2008

Are you kidding me?

Last night was Round 2 of the bedtime battle with Kian. Kyle was a trooper and stood guard for the first hour. I went in after that and had a short-lived battle of only 19 minutes before he conceded. Regardless, he was out for the night again.

Tonight was a completely different story. I tried to get as many things completed prior to bedtime knowing that we'd being going for Round 3, hoping that it didn't last too long. The odds were not in our favor. Kyle and Kian went to the store to get some things for Daycare Provider Appreciation Day (different post) and decided to sample a chocolate chip cookie on the way home. I noticed something on his face when he walked in and knew immediately that he had some chocolate. C'mon Daddy, what the hell are you doing...we're trying to get him to sleep. I gave Kyle quite the evil eye on this one. On top of this, Jackson came home not feeling the greatest complaining of a belly-ache. (Not all that uncommon for him I must say). Turns out he must have some sort of stomach bug. He wouldn't eat dinner, insisted on throwing up and demanded to watch cartoons to feel better. Just as we were trying to get Kian started on his bedtime routine, Jackson starting vomiting from the living room back into our bathroom. What a mess that was. I just about threw in the towel on this one. I've admitted before and will say it again. It's just easier to nurse him to sleep and deal with the consequences later. Suddenly I remembered that we're doing this for Kian's well-being, not just ours. After a bedtime story and a quick nursing session listening to Sleepytime songs, Kian went down (semi-sleeping) without making a fuss. He didn't even wake up when closing his squeaky door. I walked out to thinking any second he's going to wake up. It's been 28 minutes without a peep. Cross your fingers. We may sleep through the night. Well, maybe not. Jackson isn't feeling well after all.

until next time...lc


UPDATE: Yes, he was kidding me. This peacefulness lasted until 145am this morning. A huge tantrum was thrown until about 215am when I decided to retreat to Jackson's bed with Kian since Jackson was sleeping in our room. He didn't stop moving until I heard the alarm go off at 530am this morning. So much for being well-rested. The saga continues. Here's to Round 4 and a better nights sleep.

No comments: