Thursday, December 20, 2007

Take your kid to work day

Yesterday, Jackson was sick so I took most of the day off to stay at home with him. Laura and I do our best to keep the boys out of daycare when they're sick, because the last thing our provider (Michelle) or any of the other kids' parents want or need is a fast-spreading infestation of the kiddie gunk that seems to strike all to easily this time of the year.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of things at work that I just had to get done, and couldn't pass along to one of my co-workers. So, I decided to pack up some coloring books, crayons, an L-Max and games, and a canteen (Jack got a canteen for his birthday that has his name on it, so this was not something we planned to need for extended periods without water or anything) and take Jack to the office with me.

We got in super early, and there was only one person on my side of my floor in her office. I said something to Jack as we were walking to my office, and he responded - obviously noting how silent the floor was at that hour - "SSSSHHHH, Daddy, we have to be quiet." I replied we didn't have to be quite, it was just like that because no one had yet arrived.

So, we sat in my office and he colored me a couple of pictures, played his video game, and was generally a good boy. He started getting ansty after about an hour and a half, so that's when I broke out the big ammo - letting him draw on the dry-erase board in my office. He loved that, and that bought me the additional 20 minutes I needed to finish up the work that kept us in my office and allowed us to roam the rest of the building. I had to burn some CDs for one of the lawyers here, and the burning station is 6 floors up from me, so we took a little trip.

One of the benefits of working in an office with a lot of women is that they all wanted to talk to Jack and smile at him and dote all over him. Never a bad thing, for either of us (sorry, Laura)! He got several comments about his Spider-man shirt he was wearing, to which he often replied, "Well, guess what!?!? I have on Spider-man boxers, too!" Which was the truth.

So, at the end, he got to see a bit of what his daddy does on a daily basis, he got some lessons in flirtation, I got my CDs burned, and all was well. I think that was a successful adventure.

No comments: