Monday, August 25, 2008

Just Jack

On the drive home Friday evening, this conversation transpired between Jackson and myself:

Jackson: Mommy, I have this really cool name I want you to call me. I don't want you to call me Jackson anymore. OK?
Mommy: OK, what it is Jackson?
Jackson: It's Just Jack.
Mommy: Just Jack, huh?
Jackson: Yeah, Just Jack.
Mommy: OK, so your new name is Just Jack?
Jackson: Yeah.
Mommy: Just Jack, that's a cool name.
Jackson: No Mommy, it's Jack, not Just Jack.
Mommy: Oh, silly Mommy. Silence for a few moments. Well, Jack, I've called you Jackson for nearly 5 years now, so you'll have to remind me if I slip and call you Jackson. I'll try really hard to call you Jack though. Not Jackson and not Just Jack.
Jackson: Thank you Mommy.
Mommy: Now does this hold true for everyone or just Mommy?
Jackson: I want everyone to call me Jack. I don't want to be Jackson anymore.
Mommy: OK, well, make sure you correct everyone when they call you Jackson.
Jackson: No, you tell them.
Mommy: No, if you decide to change your name, you will be the one to tell everyone what your new name is. Got it?
Jackson: Yeah.

I asked him a little later who, in their right mind, told him that Jackson was no longer a cool name and Jack was. He told me that he and the little girl next door, Kylie, decided that he would be Jack from now on. For quite some time now (at least a few months that I know of) he has allowed Michelle (day care teacher) to call him Jack, but no one else. He specifically told Kyle and I that he wanted to be called Jackson. Why the change? I'll never know. I'll chalked it up to him being more independent.

So fast forward to this evening when we were reading a book prior to bedtime. I asked a question about what was going on in the book foll0wed by Jackson. He looked at me and said, "Mom, bemember? " I quickly corrected myself with a, "Sorry Just Jack." He in turned rolled his eyes and we continued counting the animals on the page.

I am definitely not ready for him to show such independence. He acts much more grown up than he should be at times. Perhaps we're pushing him too much too fast. Or maybe he'll thank us later in life for helping build such a strong character. I suppose time will tell.

until next time...lc

No comments: